Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I just LOVE finding new places to wear diamonds.

Wow, I'm actually impressed. I really enjoyed Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I can't stand the whole airhead blonde persona thing Monroe does, but at least she does it well. Jane Russell is quite good, but really, the movie just has some great lines and the dialogue is more than a little raunchy. The entire musical number for "Ain't There Anyone Here For Love," consists of Jane Russell singing amongst a large Olympic team of nearly-naked men clad in flesh-colored tight briefs. Ahem. And really, this is the same director as To Have and Have Not, Bringing Up Baby, and The Big Sleep, so I guess it's not just a fluke I like it.

I dibbled around on imdb and learned a few things about Monroe I previously did not; she married Arthur Miller in a beige wedding dress and dyed the veil in coffee so it would match. She suffered from endometriosis, had two miscarriages and the drug overdose she suffered in 1962 was actually deemed suicide. I'm always the last to know.

We'll see if the other two Monroe films are any good. Plus the last disc of Firefly is on the way, and I doubt I can be held responsible for the order in which things get viewed...

No comments: