Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rollo Tomasi.

My dad recently (ok, maybe October/November) asked us (myself and my two sisters) if our top 100 guilty pleasure lists from last year had changed at all, noting his had a 5-10% turnover, which I am curious to see. I revisited mine and saw a few changes worth making.

Strangely, some of what I added are not new movies I've seen (although 3 are) but old favorites I watched again this year and decided they have a spot on the list. The bold ones are the new additions.

I did a pretty pisspoor job of getting around to the ones on my dad's and sisters' lists I hadn't seen. I did knock out quite a few, but not as many as I'd wanted. So now my top ten Netflix are...(and yes, I've seen Brazil, but it's been ages and it seems like it should be on the list).

La Cage aux Folles
Babette's Feast
(I tried to watch this recently but Netfux sent a broken one)
Logan's Run
Brazil
Howards End
The Browning Version
Breakheart Pass
Becket
Diva
Zorba the Greek


So the list from 2007, top 100 comfort/fun movies. Again, not a list for the grittier Breaking the Waves type fare, though those are also well-loved.

1. Lost In Translation
2. Streets of Fire
3. Bringing Up Baby
4. After Hours
5. My Dinner With Andre
6. Boogie Nights
7. Heat
8. La Vita e Bella
9. Kicking and Screaming (1995)
10. Bandits (German)



11. Ghost World
12. Lonesome Dove (still bending the rules)
13. Jeffrey
14. That Thing You Do!
15. Four Weddings and a Funeral
16. What's Up, Doc?
17. The Full Monty
18. Thelma & Louise
19. The Last Days of Disco
20. Goodfellas



21. The Silence of the Lambs
22. The Goodbye Girl
23. The Breakfast Club
24. Working Girl
25. Ghostbusters
26. Dead Poets' Society
27. Clueless
28. Watership Down
29. Strictly Ballroom
30. Pretty In Pink



31. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
32. Mystic Pizza
33. The Terminator
34. Charade
35. The Man Who Came to Dinner
36. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
37. The Secret of NIMH
38. A Fish Called Wanda
39. Amadeus
40. Planes, Trains and Automobiles



41. Parenthood
42. Christmas In Connecticut
43. L.A. Confidential
44. Casablanca
45. Only You
46. The Lemon Drop Kid
47. To Kill a Mockingbird
48. Die Hard
49. The Professional
50. All About Eve



51. Go
52. American Psycho
53. Amateur
54. Fierce Creatures
55. Romancing the Stone
56. Strange Days
57. Pretty Woman
58. Kontroll
59. Mononoke Hime
60. Horror Express



61. Adventures in Babysitting
62. Closer
63. Contact (Jodie Foster movie)
64. Grosse Point Blank
65. Home For the Holidays
66. In Good Company
67. The Limey
68. Living Out Loud
69. Moulin Rouge!
70. Office Space



71. Party Girl
72. Meet the Feebles
73. Kamikaze Girls
74. Midnight Run
75. Say Anything
76. Secretary
77. Juno
78. The Joy Luck Club
79. A Few Good Men
80. Bangkok Hilton (miniseries;we're not big on rules here)



81. Bridget Jones' Diary
82. Pan's Labyrinth
83. The Fugitive
84. Raiders of the Lost Ark
85. Stand By Me
86. Mulholland Drive
87. The Linguini Incident
88. It Happened One Night
89. Beauty and the Beast
90. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead



91. Peter's Friends
92. Airplane!
93. Groundhog Day
94. Sense and Sensibility
95. Pride and Prejudice (the Colin Firth one, der)
96. Saved!
97. Big
98. When Harry Met Sally
99. Sleepless In Seattle
100. Real Genius

4 comments:

JulieGong said...

I was obsessed with la confidential in college. i actually wrote 2 paper invovling it as a central theme...

Ellen Aim said...

It's a damn near perfect thing, that movie. I read the book after, which is also perfect, and found the movie was actually a BITCHIN well-played adaptation where they chose to cut the right things. SO RARE.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Both "Kicking and Screaming" and "After Hours" are in MY Top 10 too!

Ellen Aim said...

Technically they aren't in any order, but I started to make just the top 10 in order, hence those two being in there! Those may even be in my top five...(or at least top six or seven).