Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!

I don't know which is worse, what I've done or the fact that I'm about to write it all down here, but I just bought Carrie Underwood's new album, Carnival Ride. And I was stone cold sober. I don't know, morbid curiosity?



I have zero interest in her first album, I mean, I seriously don't think I could own something with a track titled, "Jesus Take the Wheel," but the second one seemed like it would be okay, just fun fluff.

And it is (so far). She has a really great voice and I totally admit to laughing at the line, "The more boys I meet the more I love my dog." I don't know how I was expecting that line to end, but that wasn't it.

But we'll never speak of this again, ok?

I did watch two and a half movies yesterday:

Funny Girl: Never seen it, loved the hell out of it. I have a hard time watching upbeat musicals for the most part, because in the movies I tend to watch, well, things go wrong.



I kept cringing, thinking:

A) Fanny is going to get fired for messing up the show. She will have to become a singing prostitute.

B) Nick is totally sleeping around. He's using her. I mean, he just looks sleazy. (Sorry, he does).

C) Nick is going to be pissed to see Fanny surprise him on the boat and/or she's going to wreck the shit out of his card game. There will be a major ass beating.


I just expect the worst. So by the time bad things happened at the tail end of the second act, it really didn't bother me. Kind of a downer ultimately, but what a well done movie.

That was the last good movie of the day.

Followed it up with: Monkey Business. This was one of the biggest turds of all time, I don't give two shits that it starred Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers and Marilyn Monroe.



It was so embarrassing, today's equivalent would be watching Nicole Kidman and Clive Owen star in The Pacifier or something.

And perhaps most disappointing film in ages: Rope. Dude, this had the best opening ever--it was engaging, character-driven suspense. And then...Jimmy Stewart came on the scene. Now I'll admit I seem to have a real problem with Jimmy Stewart. I just can't fucking stand him as an actor. But I mostly had a problem with the character--it was so stupidly obvious that he would instantly be onto their tricks and deceit, there to solve the murder, so why bother? I got pissed and turned it off. It had such potential.

I probably should have finished it, but oh well. Another time.

5 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I was about to get all in your grill about buying Carrie Underwood, but then I remembered that I'm trying to buy tickets to the Spice Girls in February. So nevermind.

Blancodeviosa said...

Yeah, you must be ill.
Wait here, I'll get the anal thermometer!

Ellen Aim said...

Cherry: And now I'm a little thankful I never gave you shit for that, even if I wanted to.

Well hey, as long as we're both here at the lower levels of taste (though it's not like we're listening to new R&B, so there is that), pass the cookies.

Blanco: I stand by my shit taste (aka: eclectic, ha ha). If I still bought CDs, Underwood would go somewhere between Tito & Tarantula and Warp 11. Just don't look too closely at some of my other selections...

SkylersDad said...

Funny girl is really pretty good in my book, just don't go near the sequel Funny Lady.

Ellen Aim said...

I didn't even realize there was a sequel until yesterday. I was planning on avoiding it. They should have left it alone, they really should have.

I like to think she DIDN'T become bitter after the original ending.