Tuesday, December 11, 2007

She thinks I'm cuuuuuuuuuuuute!

So I was listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me the other day and the guest celebrity was White House Press Secretary Dana Perino. Their questions for her revolved around that nightmare classic, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.



The first question addressed some of Rudolph being edited out as time has gone on, proving very un-PC as it aged. (Apparently the dad, Donner, at one point said, "This is man's work!") The third question was great, though:

On the Island of Misfit Toys, it's very apparent what's wrong with each of the toys except for the doll Sue. What the hell is wrong with her, anyway?

A) She selflessly stowed away with the Charlie In the Box
B) She was left-handed
C) She had psychological problems

Ms. Perino guessed A, as I probably would have. But it's C. Nice.

One of the producers, Arthur Rankin, Jr. said she was cast off by her mistress and clinically depressed "and they didn't have Prozac back then."

But for good holiday animation, I still recommend Beauty and the Beast, which we re-watched last night. D had only seen it once before ten years ago (!!) and I used to struggle to choose a favorite between Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. Truthfully it was just the first two that rivaled each other, but the test of time has proven Beast the clear winner. Probably.



Oddly enough, Robby Benson (the voice of the Beast) was also a guest on Wait, Wait a few weeks ago and he's apparently famous for a number of other things (just don't ask me what). When asked if he gets recognized most often because of his association with this movie, he said no, except once in a while...

For example, when he takes his small daughter to the grocery store and she's repeatedly bugging him in line to buy candy, bringing it up to him, he'll growl, "Put it back!" And then apparently people start turning around because they know that voice...

It was by sheer coincidence we watched this last night, but I was in hysterics to read Veloute's recent post about little five-year-old Fiona trying to rationalize how she liked a boy at school but he wasn't a prince so she couldn't marry him. (Because she's studying to be or perhaps just is a princess). Apparently there was a bit of a pause while she mulled this over, then said, "Gosh, I hope he doesn't go all Gaston on me."

I totally need to spend more time in Vermont, that is too priceless.

2 comments:

Veloute said...

I need to rewatch Rudolph. I had forgotten about the doll. Very nice. I do remember Donner (isn't it really Donder? Who knows?) saying "This is man's work". That always bugged me.

I love the "Put it back!"

Yes, please come back!!

Ellen Aim said...

I think I can die without seeing that fucking thing again.

It might be Donder, but Santa's always so loaded it's hard for him to enunciate.