Thursday, December 20, 2007

Give 'em a show that's so splendiferous, row after row will grow vociferous.

We went out to look at lights last night; D used to sort of dread it and now I think he kind of likes it (maybe). Maybe he only dreaded it because I like to put Christmas music on the radio (and as he still works retail it's sort of like hell). He gets to change the radio when it's truly awful, of course. If the ipod worked in his car, of course...

But anyhoo. Last year we did Interlochen, an Arlington neighborhood that is the lighting competition to behold. We weren't terribly impressed, save for a few houses. So this year I opted for Grand Prairie's thing called Prairie Lights, which is a big park you can drive through that's all decked out. Um, that was lame. And it cost money, unlike driving through neighborhoods. It was a little on the bizarre side, which was cool but overall, we didn't really dig it.

Apologies for the shake...



Hi, I'm a squirrel. There were several of me.



Buffalo are very Christmas.



So are butterflies.



You've got me. A pile of snow? A pile of crap? Could be.



We know now this was part of a "12 Days of Christmas" set, but for way too long we were like, why are there polar bears on the Eiffel Tower? Some of these, I think, needed to be further away from the cars than they were.



The very cool finale. It was actually a little disorienting as you drove into it (good times) as it kinda zooooooomed in and out as it flickered.

After work tonight I'm picking up custom-tinned popcorn. It's a three-way (that's right) and I learned last time it works best 1-sweet 2-spicy/flavorful. So it's to be Honey, Loaded Baked Potato and Spicy Hot Cheese. I love this store. He advised me he's low on his specialty tins but if he gets his new stock in I can have one. I told him flat out it can be in a cardboard box for all I care, we're really just into the popcorn. (Who gives two shits about the tin, seriously?)

And I'm also terribly excited that Charlie Wilson's War and Sweeney Todd both come out tonight at midnight. I mean, if only I could be in two places at once! But luckily, Owl taught me otherwise.

Obviously, considering my husband, Todd is going to win. I'm remotely curious about Dewey Cox as well (which also comes out at midnight), as I heard the director and John C. Reilly on Fresh Air a few weeks ago and was intrigued. Great soundtrack, but unsure about the film itself...

3 comments:

Veloute said...

Nice lights. Love the pile of crap. Or mountains. Or flames of hell. You know, whatever. It says Christmas.

SkylersDad said...

We have a similar lighting show in the Denver area where they put up lights at the zoo. It is actually pretty cool!

Ellen Aim said...

Vel: Blue flames of Hell amongst the Mountaintops. Totally.

Skyler'sD: Yes, but in Denver you probably have SNOW so you guys don't have to try as hard as we do.