Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's even better when you help.

This morning I wrapped up a film called Winter Passing, which I had rented on a whim while trolling for 2006 releases. Most of the time, if you haven't heard of it, there's a reason. But truthfully it wasn't that bad. It starred Zooey Deschanel and Ed Harris, and a very odd (but very good) role for Will Farrell. I guess he's not so bad. The movie was totally forgettable, but not necessarily bad. Pleasantly mediocre. (Ouch). Especially if you like bleak and depressing. And then there was...



To Have and Have Not. I love re-watching all my B&W favorites now that they're on DVD and I have a TV that kicks ass. However, I should note that this was the very first time I'd even seen To Have and Have Not. I know, I've just embarrassed my entire family. Oh well. Obviously, I really liked it. The ending was way easier than I expected...what can I say, I've been conditioned to expect the melodrama of Casablanca. But damn Lauren Bacall was smoky! I mean, they certainly were as a couple as well, but damn! I read in the imdb trivia that her role was originally much smaller and the other woman was supposed to be his love interest. But due to the public interest in their off-screen affair, her role was significantly increased. Score for her.

Anyway. Damn.

Off for more movie-viewings...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checking in ~ good to see you digging the old B&W's. The chemistry on screen was sizzzzling wasn't it, although I prefer The Big Sleep to this one.

Al (doctorphibes), Liverpool

Ellen Aim said...

I do like The Big Sleep...haven't seen it in ages. Must give it a re-watch (darn).