Friday, December 15, 2006

I'll join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, drugs, night clubs and bloody Abba!

So recently my dad asked the three of us (daughters) to compile our top 100 list of movies we could watch over and over again. This is a fairly embarrassing list (in my case, anyway). As Alex pointed out, we can't really count the Breaking the Waves types among them. Great stuff, but it's hardly go-to material. And having seen all the lists, I finally made my final list.

If it's in italics, then the three daughters all agree. (Since we're all Generation X (uh, aren't we?), it's categorically interesting?) If it's in bold, then all three daughters AND the father agree...

And it's in no order whatsoever. Cause I said so. And I picked pictures for whatever I found that was cool. So there.

Oooh, and if I put **** around it, then it's in my absolute top 10 for go-tos; it's just a question of what I grab first.

1. Watership Down
**2. The Breakfast Club**
3. Bringing Up Baby
4. Goodfellas
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
6. Die Hard
7. Amateur
8. Nina Takes a Lover
9. Only You
10. A Fish Called Wanda


11. Fierce Creatures
12. Lonesome Dove (Alex started it! And I would only need one bathroom break!) (ahem, this is in reference to the fact that it's supposed to be movies-only, but we uh, kinda cheated a little)
13. Horror Express
14. That Thing You Do!
15. Four Weddings and a Funeral
16. What's Up, Doc?
17. The Full Monty
**18. Thelma & Louise**
19. Strange Days
20. Romancing the Stone



21. The Silence of the Lambs
22. The Goodbye Girl
23. Lost In Translation
**24. Working Girl**
25. Ghostbusters
26. Dead Poets' Society
27. Clueless
**28. After Hours**
29. Strictly Ballroom
30. Pretty In Pink



**31. Streets of Fire**
32. Mystic Pizza
33. Being There
34. Charade
35. The Man Who Came to Dinner
36. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
37. The Secret of NIMH
38. My Dinner With Andre
39. Amadeus
40. Planes, Trains and Automobiles




41. Parenthood
42. Christmas In Connecticut
43. L.A. Confidential
44. Casablanca
**45. Bandits (German)**
46. The Lemon Drop Kid
47. To Kill a Mockingbird
48. Time After Time
49. The Professional
50. All About Eve



51. Go
52. American Psycho
53. Boogie Nights
**54. Kicking and Screaming (1995)**
55. The Last Days of Disco
56. Jeffrey
57. Pretty Woman (you all have permission to BITE ME)
58. Frankie & Johnny
59. Mononoke Hime
60. Ghost World



61. Adventures in Babysitting
62. Closer (I am so alone)
63. Contact (yup, Jodie Foster)
64. Grosse Point Blank
65. Home For the Holidays
66. In Good Company
67. The Limey
**68. Living Out Loud**
69. Moulin Rouge!
70. Office Space



71. Party Girl
72. Meet the Feebles
73. Kamikaze Girls
**74. Midnight Run**
75. Say Anything
76. Secretary
77. Heat
78. The Joy Luck Club
79. La Strada
80. Bangkok Hilton (a miniseries, but maybe 4 hrs? so good)



**81. Bridget Jones' Diary**
82. La Vita e Bella
83. The Fugitive
84. Raiders of the Lost Ark
85. Stand By Me
86. Mulholland Drive
87. The Linguini Incident
88. It Happened One Night
89. Beauty and the Beast
90. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead



91. Peter's Friends
92. The 25th Hour
93. Don't Bother to Knock
94. Sense and Sensibility
95. Pride and Prejudice (the Colin Firth one, der)
96. Saved
97. Big
98. When Harry Met Sally
99. Sleepless In Seattle
100. Real Genius



Wow. Holy shit. While there were a TON of things that 3 of us agreed upon out of 4, the one and only thing we all had on all our lists was Priscilla. Correct me if I'm wrong!!



So that's how it is in their family...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, fabulous list of movies here! Now I'm trying to come up with my own list, but it's making me want to go watch movies.

Veloute said...

Really? There was only one movie we all had on the list?? I am going to double check you, but you must be right. I like that it's Priscilla. What a fabulous movie. I want to see it right now.

I almost put Linguini on my list...but I felt I had to watch it again to make sure. Just in case.

I really really really like a lot of stuff on your list that just didn't quite make it to my list for some reason.

I only didn't say the Breakfast Club because I have seen it SO. Many. Times. that as Alex says, I sucked it dry.

Veloute said...

I put up pictures just for you. I think you'll really like two of them.