Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Then that Cobain pussy had to come around and ruin it all.

So I did get to watch The Wrestler the other day, and it was quite good! It's definitely a great role for Mickey Rourke and despite how much I loved Sean Penn in Milk, I don't really mind that Rourke will probably snake the statue.



It actually reminded me of Milk at first (that's right, I just compared Milk and The Wrestler, how awesome is that) in that both directors typically do really artistically driven films (like, PAINFULLY SO sometimes), but these are pretty straightforward in their style and pace. The difference for me here, however, is that I really don't know a damn thing about the topic (i.e., wrestling).

As the hubby used to enjoy it as a teenager, I had to ask him after, "Is wrestling usually that bloody?" I knew it was very showy, fake and crazy, but I guess I just never saw bloody moments before. It was pretty impressive. So whole new world for me, and I really don't need to see more. But the movie was very well done.

Though I do have one question.



Really? Oscar nomination?

I mean, she's totally cute and I'd take her rack any day, but if we're handing out nominations for cuteness and/or hot tits, I've got to rethink my entire list.

Seriously, I kept waiting for her role to BE MORE. No.

I really enjoy Marisa Tomei, but when you think about her last Oscar win for My Cousin Vinny, it's mind boggling. Actually, it's kind of insulting. I mean, same category and everything! Wtf?

And speaking of watching movies for Oscars, I finally bit the bullet and watched Tropic Thunder last night. It should be noted that I was drinking vodka and cooking while I watched it, but it was much funnier than I expected.



Everyone goes on about what a great cameo Tom Cruise has, but I honestly found Matthew McConaughey's turn much funnier. Though I honestly believe Tom should only do non-publicized roles from now on. It's the only cure to his overexposure.

And Robert Downey, Jr. playing a black man was not the offensive monstrosity I feared it might be. It was actually really clever, since the "token black man" is offensive as it is. And they do still make fun of themselves later anyway.



Again, you know I love me some Robert Downey, Jr. but I'm really not thinking Oscar. (That category is basically canceled this year anyway, with all the Heath Ledger drama, so it's not about to come up.) I just hate it when actors do incredible work and then they get nominated or win for some totally phoned in shlock (ok, that's not the case here, I admit I'm totally talking to you, Nicole Kidman). Anyhoo.

But overall, I definitely laughed in a few places I wasn't expecting, but I also recommend drinking and barely paying attention.

More Oscar watching to go; The Magnolia is showing ALL the shorts and goddammit I am really going this year. Really really really. Really.

4 comments:

Triana said...

Oh I don't know, there was something about Tom Cruise and his lackey suddenly bursting into dance that had me totally on the floor. But you're totally right, he should only do unpublicized roles for the rest of his life. As much as I hate him, he can actually sorta act when he's not being "Tom Cruise".

Ellen Aim said...

Ok, that WAS funny. And yeah, I thought he was great in this role (even if being "tom cruise" was still part of the joke). Apparently he CAN occasionally go beyond that one note he does.

mac said...

I thought she went beyond cute.

Ellen Aim said...

I am certainly a MT fan, but I was so let down by her role in The Wrestler, I wouldn't necessarily call it a failing on her part.

Now if you wanna talk My Cousin Vinny, which I re-watched recently, she is mind-blowingly cute in that, it's ridiculous.