Monday, September 25, 2006

Are you doing what I told you? Are you thinking of that reed as a woman's nipple?

Ok, I'm back! Ahhh, loooooooooooooooong weekend over. Not long as in "long weekend off," either. Long as in, we had the goddamn Vistas Film Festival and I had work forever and ever...and then go home (or rather, eat dinner with D and take a nap at the old apartment, which is MUCH closer) and go BACK at midnight last night to screen The Queen. Now I was the one who offered to screen it, mind you. I adore Helen Mirren and while I didn't know much about the film's content, I knew it was going to be good. I was really, really wiped and the nap actually made things worse. I dragged my sorriest of asses back up to the theatre and parked my butt down for what I prayed would not be the fourth in a series of tremendously bad films my theatre has served me this past month. I felt like shit, I was tired, but I still had a feeling it was going to be good.

And oh, was it. At first, it's easy to get carried away with the great performances and miss the virtues of the film itself. It is a simple plot, after all. But it is very nicely done. It is a little British in regard to the way it paints Tony Blair, plus...wait, what am I doing? Just go over to BSL, I'll rant about it there. But oh, what great stuff this film was. I predict an Oscar for Helen Mirren. (Even though I'm afraid Judi Dench may have made Oscar wins for queens a spent thing...hardly her fault, of course!)

Didn't do much else. Excited for next weekend when Mob and K will be up for D's "official" bachelor party. I'm not sure what to expect, though it will be an interesting adventure compared to my usual Saturday nights. And yes, the little woman (that's me!) has been invited, too.

D and I carpooled today so we could hit Denton afterwards to see my parents and watch the new Heroes and Studio 60. The former was ok for a season premiere, the latter kinda left me cold tonight. I had an hour to kill after work so I popped next door to Target and updated the wedding registry. It occurred to me a few weeks ago that there weren't all that many less-than-pricey items on the list, so I fixed that. I got a little carried away in the Christmas lights section but dude they had some cool shit. And no, I didn't add anything tacky. I refrained from adding the animated skiing polar bear. Seriously, they had one. And a polar bear whose head moves (??); again, didn't make the cut. I'm merely tickled by the sexy hanging lights. They had neat ones, sue me.

We also celebrated Michaelmas today, which is really a British "holiday", celebrating the harvest and autumn. (As I always vaguely understood it). Mostly, when we were little, it was just a nice place for a holiday in between birthdays and Christmas when we each got one gift from our parents. I now have a copy of Susan Orleans' The Orchid Thief, which I've always been very curious about, and D received the special edition of Snatch. Made for a very nice day and now I'm tired and it's bedtime.

Bless the spa, that is all I have to say.

Going to attempt the movie review, may be left for tomorrow, we'll see...

No comments: