Friday, May 18, 2007

Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!



Recently watched the double disc of El Mariachi and Desperado, in light of the Robert Rodriguez marathon over at Cinemaslave. It had been ages since I'd seen Mariachi; obviously it holds up quite well. I watched both with commentary, which was hysterical. The commentary was definitely best on the first film, it was great to hear about how nearly every creative decision made on that film basically stemmed from being financially strapped. Listening to him is more than enough to get just about anyone in the mood to make a movie (assuming one had equipment or time...)

Desperado I still like but not only is it not quite as inspired as the first but it kinda drags a bit around the ending. Has some really great scenes and perhaps one of the best soundtracks of all time. And as always, great dialogue. I want to say his films are always at least worth a watch, but I recall hating every minute of Once Upon a Time in Mexico, not being too thrilled with The Faculty and I've only seen the first of the Spy Kids franchise (hey, I was living in Austin at the time, it would have been blasphemy not to...and it wasn't bad, actually...) But anyhoo, not making plans to see the others anytime soon.



But I still enjoy From Dusk Til Dawn, despite popular opinion being what it is.

No comments: