Saturday, February 24, 2007

The killer's a literature professor. He cuts off little chunks from his victims' bodies until they die. He calls himself "the deconstructionist."

(Ooh, and thanks to Alex for the heads up about The Tomato in the first place. *Sniff.* The only thing more depressing would have been to drive down Fry Street and see it all shut down! She also tells me it's going to become...yes! A **PHARMACY**. As I mentioned on Triana's comments, it's good people will still be able to get drugs on that corner.) Ok, back to today's post...



It never fails.

The weather service gets all worked up predicting sudden death and I get a little antsy about words like "hail" and "my roof" and then not a goddamn thing happens. I mean, I think it tinkled a little outside, as the driveway is wet, but the backyard is fairly dry. No good house-shuddering thunder, nuthin'. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted the tree in my front yard isn't in the computer room, but a nice thunderstorm once in a while...

The photo above is from a site my dad sent me nearly two years ago (go, gmail!), shot by Jorn Olsen. They are mammatus clouds and some of these were featured on the front and back of The Journal of Meteorology.




I have only seen mammatus clouds once in my life (in Denton) and they were not this cool. (Then again, if you're looking up at these, you were probably just in a really unpleasant storm, so there is that). If memory serves, these are usually seen after a bad thunderstorm, usually tornado-type weather and in the midwest. I don't think I'm making this up...

Anyhoo. On a totally different subject, I'm a little conflicted. It's really nice outside and it's not even 9am. But there are Oscar nominees to be watched! Ones in the theatre that technically still require my viewing would be Pan's Labyrinth, Notes on a Scandal, Volver, and Letters From Iwo Jima. Obviously the last one is probably the most important. But the other three I would probably enjoy way more. I left out Last King of Scotland because there's just no way I'm that silly I would see it instead of the other four, Best Actor or no. I can't see Blood Diamond (nowhere to be found), so why bother with a category that is nearly a lock anyway? Notes just seems like a fantastic guilty pleasure, though it may be darker and more depressing than I anticipate. Pan would also be wonderful and very dark...

But it's gorgeous outside! You see the dilemma.

Well, no matter what I do watch, I will try to write a little something for the BSL site. In retrospect, I may have rated Shut up and Sing a little high considering it's about as shallow in depth as Fuck, which I totally reamed for the exact same reason. However, in my own defense, I knew a lot more about "fuck" than the Natalie Maines "Incident." But I stand by my rating; after all, simpy by looking at my reviews and ratings over there...jeez, I was starting to come off a little snobby. Ellen Aim needed to post some piffle. Although, speaking of that film, the good Natasha was kind enough to direct me over to a little film called Protesting the Dixie Chicks, which seems to be far more focused on the reactions of people and fans than the Chicks (and therefore a little more in-depth). In that regard, it's probably ten times more depressing. Sadly, it's only available through the website (I did find some youtube clips but I'm also not seeking out depression at the moment).

But I do need to seek out more tea.

No comments: