Friday, February 02, 2007

It would be the last unicorn that came to Molly Grue.

Happy Birthday, Fiona!! Even if you are in bed by now. Better late than never.



I can't wait to see party pics.

It's freezing in this house and I need to go make a fire. I have the Best of Saturday TV Funhouse but I'm not allowed to watch it til D comes home. I also have something I'm LOATHE to watch, but in the interest of fairness, I bumped it up to #1 while Netfuxers was shipping so I wouldn't be able change my mind. I've added it before and taken it off. I just have no desire and I think the making of these films was in poor taste and done too soon. But now that it has a Best Director nod, I'm forced to at least give it a watch, in the interest of playing by my own twisted rules. And from time to time I remember what my film criticism teacher used to say; basically, he didn't care if your best friend died from HIV the week you had to screen a movie about HIV. He felt it was the fillm critic's job to watch the film no matter what and be affected by it however you were. But you had to watch it. I try not to bitch about movies I haven't seen (unless they're the fucking stupid low-brow dregs of humanity type and then, frankly, I just don't care), but I just can't see how making these films was anything but a scam for money. I'm speaking, obviously, of United 93 and World Trade Center, the former of which is sitting in the kitchen.

Time to grab a beer and get this over with.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I understand your line of thought, please give "United 93" a chance. It's actually Art, with a captial "A", and very powerful to boot. I haven't seen "World Trade Center," but the trailer left me cold, so I doubt I'll bother unless someone I trust tells me it's wonderful.

-CSJ

Veloute said...

I'll show her this when she awakes!

Today we get balloons, oh yes. She loves the lunchbox (movie, too, opened a while ago, lol)! Thank you :)

Tomorrow...let chaos be our guide.

I swear I will blog about it. Really!

Triana said...

Balloons!! Pictures!!

I really wish we had teleporters so we could come join for the afternoon to give you guys a hug and have a cupcake.

Have fun!!

Ellen Aim said...

CSJ: Yeah, I tried. I didn't like it. I'm sure I'll go into detail today...but...I guess it's well done and it's hard to criticize it for being emotionally manipulative (it is what it is), but I just don't see the need. The end titles especially made it feel like they're pretending we weren't all there just five years ago (at the time of making). Fifty years from now it will be a good film but I really didn't need to see it.

Vel: I tried not to swear in the vicinity of the video. ;D I understand someone is becoming quite the voracious reader...

Tri: Amen!! Fiona would flip out.

Anonymous said...

I can dig it. I thought it was one of the best movies that I'll probably never watch again. It was just too hard, but I admired the achievement.

Incidentally, I owe you an apology over the latest Cinemaslave. I had a voicemail from a listener in Texas, and I congratulated him on being only the second Texas listener I've ever heard from... I forgot about you until I was actually editing the show. D'oh. :(

Don't hate me because I'm stupid.

-CSJ

Ellen Aim said...

Amen on never watching it again!

You *FORGOT* about me? Yeah I just heard the show! I bawled. Actually, you forgot me AND KingMob from Dear Bastards. He's in Midland (which is about a five hour drive from Dallas). 'Sokay, I forgive! ;P So there are at least four of us now. We're gaining.

Ooh, and as a bonus, neither Mob nor I have the Dreaded Southern Accent. Woo hoo!

Veloute said...

Fiona has now watched this at least 8 times.

I wish you guys could have teleported here! It was a blast. I haven't blogged b/c Sophia keeps getting sick. Ask mom. I do not make this up.

Ellen Aim said...

Hee hee! So glad she loves it.

Sure, blame the little one...

Veloute said...

Oh, it's obviously not totally her fault ;) She wasn't sick the entire month of JANUARY. Ha!