Sunday, January 18, 2009

Maybe we can't see heaven because one of us is a J-O-O.

So I finally started watching the American version of The Office. The pilot had me worried, as it was just re-doing what the original had already done, but the actual episodes, thankfully, go in their own direction.



And it's hysterical, I love it. The best part is that it isn't true pain like the British one. (Which I did like, but it made it hard, you know...) Honestly, Steve Carell does a great job, but his Michael is just kind of an asshole. When Ricky Gervais did David, he brought a genuinely pathetic element to the character so you really felt bad for him. You hated and pitied him all at once, it made it far more painful.

But the Jim/Dwight dynamic (replacing the Tim/Gareth duo in the original) is fantastic. There was something magic about seeing Jim chunk an ice cream sandwich at the window in Dwight's "workspace" that just made my day, I had to rewind it. (It had been a long day...)

Also, I finally watched Zorba the Greek, a movie my dad has long suggested.



Hmm. I really liked the characters, Zorba especially of course, but that movie had some cracked out moments I just don't know about. Mostly the villagers. I mean, what the hell is their problem half the time? It was quite odd. But overall it was very enjoyable...don't know if it would make my top 100 as it does my father's, but I'm still glad to have seen it and could revisit it in the future.

And last weekend I saw Gran Torino and Rachel Getting Married, which I have yet to blog about, and hopefully today I'll get to see Frost/Nixon. Squee!

No comments: