Sunday, September 07, 2008

Kara Thrace and Her Special Destiny? Yeah, sounds like a bad cover band, Sam.

Not a bad weekend, really. I'm still taking my voice lessons...I've been (badly and slowly) relearning a little piano on the side, so I'm tempted to stay with it just a little while longer, if for no other reason than it makes me practice. The lessons do still grate a bit, since I feel like I'm singing for an audience of one with no real criticism or suggestion. Grrr.

Also got most of Scrubs season 4 knocked out...disc 2 ended on kind of a downer, sheesh. But great show, Dr. Cox will always be my hero...I would love to be able to say half the shit he says to people...or at least just the annoying ass-twats who deserve it.

Anyhoo. Also got an email from my friend Sonia who sent me her husband Parker's short story...and it was surprisingly good! (Not that I would think it wouldn't be, but you know that feeling of sitting down to read someone's writing and really hoping it doesn't suck, right?) It was nice to read a short story that wasn't full of pop-culture winks and nods or wasn't embarrassingly veiled in a thin veneer of self-referencing BS. I've read a lot of that. I've probably also written a lot of that. Anyway, I really liked it. She said it's pending publication, but they said the pending part seemed to be taking a little too long. I hope they come through!

And thank you so much, Veloute, for this, Star Trek + Nine Inch Nails = Closer. As she put it, "Oh so wrong, but oh so right." I fucking died.



Awesome. And speaking of awesome, my dad sent me another great Sarah Palin link...there was a blurb on NPR about this letter making the rounds on the internet. It was written by Anne Kilkenny, a woman from Wasilla, Alaska, who wrote it in response to all her friends' questions about Palin. Great stuff.

No comments: