Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sure, mom, I settle down with a nice girl every night, then I'm free the next morning.

Very cute line about a "Martin Scorsese Award" in regards to tonight's Cecil B. DeMille Award. I didn't realize they were giving him an award tonight...



I don't have the time at the moment, and I won't pretend all his 80s movies were a big impact on my love of film (though they were to some extent, I mean, DAMN, Taxi Driver, anyone?), but his 90s efforts (literally, starting with Goodfellas) and current films very surely were/are. Great sound, music, acting, characters...the whole package. The man was clearly never afraid of making an impact--and judging from The Departed, still isn't--which I love. And I regard him as an incredible artist and remarkable filmmaker, someone whose films are always worth watching...anytime, anywhere. I grew up watching and learning from his movies and they made a huge impact--I hope they continue to do so.

And I know my friend Louisa is back home in Tokyo dripping with her usual effusive adoration for Mr. Martin Scorsese. He has, I have no doubt, never received the attention and awards his films deserve...so you know he's good. ;)

No comments: