Monday, December 06, 2010

I smell like jail.

#43. Black Christmas (1974).

So I've seen this a couple times. The original "the call is coming from inside the house!" movie.



I wasn't especially in the mood this time, but luckily I was also cooking. I do enjoy it, but despite being set during Christmas, it's clearly more of a Halloween movie. (Unlike Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Gremlins, which somehow still have a little more to do with Christmas even if they are primarily action or horror flicks. Don't make me explain.)

Anyway, I still have never seen the remake, only parts. And what I saw was wretched. This on the other hand, is lots of fun (when you're in the mood). Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are both fun--the former seems weirdly out of place to me (though it works great, don't misunderstand) and the latter has a very different role from what I've otherwise seen her do!

#42. It's a Wonderful Life (1946).

So I only saw this for the first time last year, about this same time. I was about to take my contracts final in a few days and was taking a break.



I was surprised how much I liked it. Not just because I usually dislike Jimmy Stewart, but because by the time something is as ubiquitous as IAWL, it's blown out of proportion, it's overdone, it's not as great as it's built up to be. And maybe I went in with low expectations, but it worked! Aside from all the "angel and his wings" crap, which one can just sort of pass off as cutesy perhaps, it's still a really enjoyable film.

#41. Garfield's Thanksgiving/A Garfield Christmas Special (1989; 1987)

It's my blog and I can put whatever I want on my movie list. So there. Yes, this counts as one movie, even if clearly they are two shows. (Plus, I've still got about 40 to go, you know?)



Both are still really enjoyable, doubtless due entirely to nostalgia. And I think I do prefer Garfield's Xmas, although Grandma may be the best part of both.



I'm just so glad I can watch them now on DVD, without having to sit through President Reagan blathering on before the "Special Presentation" began. (The Christmas one actually had a segment edited out, presumably for time, so that's kinda neat to see now.)

#40. Lethal Weapon (1987).



Another great Christmas action flick. I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan--less so as the years go on, but I will always appreciate his older stuff, this included. Martin Riggs might be the best thing about Mel Gibson, and yeah, I'm including Mad Max in that.

I always confuse this one and the second one, but it doesn't really matter. They're both funny and action-packed, so I was never all that hung up on the plot I guess. ;)

And what a mullet! Bonus.

2 comments:

REB said...

You'll be thrilled to know that TCM is showing Black Christmas on December 17 this year (at something like 2 in the morning).

Ellen Aim said...

That is because TCM is awesome, 2 am or no.