Monday, July 27, 2009

YOU MADE ME PLAY SECOND BASE!!



Whee! Went out to a pub near Fenway Park Thursday night to watch the Red Sox game, which was a lot of fun.



It was pretty exciting towards the end, and luckily Boston won.



Fenway isn't as close to a train as it could be, but the important thing is it wasn't half as crowded getting back as I dreaded!

Tokyo prepared me well.

Forgot to mention we tried a Tex-Mex place the other night. Sigh. It was supposedly a four-year "Best of..." winner for Quincy*. Does Quincy only have one Tex-Mex place? It wasn't gross, it was just...below average. For one thing, they had shredded carrots in their salsa. That may be a fun way to mix it up at home, but it's just not the way things are done. Period. That and it was on the watery, bland side. Fail.

The actual dinner was ok, but nothing special, and it wasn't really on the cheap, either. I have a feeling I will just have to wait until my trips home for satisfying Tex-Mex. I think I'm already done giving chances on that one.

*Quincy, for the record, is not pronounced the way it looks. Nay, foolish you. Rather, it is pronounced Quin-zy.

Anyhoo, got another 3 books online, used, praying and mostly sure for the right editions. Another $105. Some of these books are "recommended" and not "required," but what sort of new law student isn't going to read those, too? I left "poor" behind about $40K ago, so what the fuck. Grr.

Saturday night we went to a restaurant off one of the piers in South Boston. South Boston seems to be a bit of a mixed bag.



I knew this couldn't possibly be part of the original sign, but it still took me a moment.

Great city views, though, and it's close to the water for a nice breeze!





I have no idea what the weird looking building is, but I like it.



Anyhow, the place we ate was called No Name Restaurant. It's in all the guide books, really well-known for being a very basic hole-in-the-wall with reasonably priced, very fresh seafood.



I had heard that the service was mediocre at best, but I am here to tell you that "mediocre" is beyond pushing it.

The end of the meal makes it a little clearer--you go downstairs to pay at the register. Considering the larger part of the crowd is probably tourists, I'm betting the waitstaff gets fuck-all in the tip department. It's a vicious cycle if you ask me, though: I can't recall the last time I had such impressively shitty service.

My mom and I had almost gone there when we visited last, but it was going to be dark and I didn't want to be wandering around South Boston at night--plus it was chilly then. Instead we went to Wagamama. We made the right decision, no doubt.

The food at No Name was certainly fresh and quite good, but when you factor in the shit service and crap decor, well overall: meh. My lobster was really great--at $28, a fabulous price, and while I discovered the claw meat is just as great as the tail (tail still wins, fyi), I simply cannot bring myself to eat, as Matt Damon so delicately puts it in Mystic Pizza, "the green stuff." (Aka, the "tomalley.")

Before:



After:



Getting back was easy, since we'd spotted the silver line. Turns out the silver line is not a subway, but rather a trolley-thing. See the glowing building?



That is the station and I have decided that every station should glow at night. Also, it might as well glow the color of the train lines that stop there. Kthxbai.

2 comments:

Veloute said...

I need to guide you to the place with the meringues. Oh, and the fresh cannoli.

Anonymous said...

Carrots in the salsa?!! Even Bugs Bunny would call b.s. on that.