Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Why would I want anything with a mind of its own bobbing about between my legs?

ARGH. I am currently writing a section for a competition brief in which the facts section can only be 1200 words. I finished the first draft...2500. So not quite your typical "snip out the adjectives and adverbs" type of rewrite. :/ WHOLE. EVENTS. They must go. Sigh. I'm down to almost 2000 words. Like I wasn't already regretting this competition...

ANYWAY. I did get to apartment-sit last night and used the time to polish off a good piffle book, Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? She is a comedian and writer--she was hired with five others to write six episodes of a first season for a remake of the British series The Office...yup, obviously it's been going pretty well ever since. (She also plays Kelly Kapoor on the show.)



It is the perfect book for a bath or wine or whatever, and if it takes you more than a day and a half to read it, you're doing it wrong. (As the book itself even points out.) I wouldn't say it was hysterical, but it had a lot of great stuff in it and lots of fun things to identify with. It wasn't a chick book by any means, but I would admit it may find more favor in a female audience...

I am also having dinner with a good friend tomorrow night, so I am looking forward to that. She was a very good friend of mine throughout university and we moved to Austin about the same time, but we lost touch after I moved to Japan. We used to always see Cohen Brothers movies together, so I blame her for O Brother sucking because I had to see it without her. But anyway! A mutual friend found her and put us in touch--so it has been ten years! She is just the same (though with some major life changes) and it was great to be able to pick up as though time hadn't passed at all. (Except we'd both traveled extensively, she's divorced now, etc., you know.)

The night after that, my oldest sister and I are taking my oldest niece to see a screening of Fellowship of the Ring, which will be her first time to see it. (Though she has started reading the books, I believe.) Because did you know IT HAS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE THE FILM PREMIERED?? I really could have done without that information. :/ It's at a cool, newish theater I've been wanting to check out, but it's an hour away. I have to get back into that DFW state of mind...everything is at least 30-40 minutes away, that's the norm.

So I have to make sure to cram my work in somewhere so I can still enjoy all the fun stuff without guilt...

No comments: