Monday, August 22, 2011

It wasn’t a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover.

Good first day in court. To be fair, I didn't have to do jack. We just observed and then discussed over lunch. Now I get to kill time until my 6p class, which I have often heard referred to as "storytime." I am okay with this. It is relevant to criminal law, and it will probably be a welcome break at the end of the day.

I did see Justin Timberlake's doppelganger get arraigned this morning, he was so adorable I felt terrible for him. Apparently he drank a leetle too much back in April. No memory of the subsequent arrest or--as it turns out--resisting that arrest. Obviously you make a deal and six months later it goes away. Doesn't REALLY go away, though. That shit is there to stay on your record. :/

Even one of my "colleagues" (har har) was arrested a few years ago for refusing to be tested for drunk driving. He was the designated driver, but had in fact had 2 beers over the course of 4 hours. And he was about 100 yards from his house. Talk about a bitch. So he knows firsthand the debilitating fear that knots in your stomach during your arrest and the whole process. And to add insult to injury, from then on, he's had to check the "yes" box on all those fucking employment forms. And anyone can be in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong-ass cop. Having said that, I think it also goes without saying that a lot of these guys are the flip side of the coin...repeat offenders. :/

Anyway, I had a nice weekend. Lots of (school) reading, but I got in a bit of R&R, too. On Saturday morning, knocked out Cedar Rapids, The Lincoln Lawyer, and X-Men: First Class.



The first was very cute. Ed Helms and John C. Reilly were just perfect...but I think Reilly always steals the show. <3 Really solid fluff, that flick.

The Lincoln Lawyer was a really good adaptation of the book. The book is obviously better, but mostly because the crux of the dilemma involves the grey areas of attorney ethics, and that kinda gets glossed over in the film.



Also, this is not the sort of defense law I plan on practicing! Not that he did anything illegal...much. He may look like Jake Brigance... But overall, it was fairly forgettable, but not really in a bad way. Easy way to pass the time?

And you know, X-Men was a pretty good time! I liked it better than the other X-Men films, actually. I think. The first one was good, but it's been years, so my memory's kinda fuzzy.



And James McAvoy was refreshingly good at being douchey (at first) as opposed to OH! SO! EARNEST! I have to admit January Jones kinda makes me roll my eyes, I can't help it. :/ But overall it was fun, and nicely done.

I'm trying to gear myself up to take it down about twenty notches, however, and have a go at A Serbian Film. Supposedly all the awfulness of the film is serving as a metaphor for the atrocities witnessed in the Balkan Wars. Should be a rockin' good time. Or whatever the opposite of that is.

No comments: