Monday, October 11, 2010

You need three ingredients for a cocktail. Vodka and Mountain Dew is an emergency.

So I had to miss evidence class last week to help my friends in their trial competition. I got my friend L to take notes for me. I think, based on this except, you can tell why I like to get L's notes:

Habit

• “Consumer warning”: Do not try to use habit as a surrogate for character evidence. Habit is not a “backup argument” when you can’t get character evidence in under 404(b). Habit evidence is fundamentally different:

o Habit evidence is evidence of how a person responds to a repeating, particular situation that the person encounters frequently, to which he nearly always responds in the same way.

o Habit evidence is usually devoid of moral tones, generally in contrast to character evidence.

o Habit evidence requires showing a pattern – 1, 2 or even 3 instances generally not enough to demonstrate habit.

o Example: testicle story that [EllenAim] will be very sorry she missed

No comments: