Thursday, October 18, 2007

Oh man. Well, we all gotta die, right? I'm the guy who gets to do it saving the world.

I was going to use the animal cracker line just to creep Alex out but that one was just too awesomely awful. Go, Ben.



Goddammit. I'm really just going to have to bite the bullet on this one and watch Gone, Baby, Gone. Not only have I yet to read a single bad thing (my dad sent a bunch of reviews and I checked out the New York Times' review as well) but everyone seems really impressed with Casey Affleck, which was one of my biggest objections in the first place. (Nothing against him, he just doesn't say "Patrick Kenzie" to me). Apparently everyone is just creaming themselves over his performance. Ok, that may be extreme. Mostly everyone's going, "Holy shit, who knew the boy could ACT??"

I always really enjoy the Times' candid explanation of the ratings. Why is Gone, Baby, Gone rated R? "There are several scenes of intense and bloody violence, and a horrifying subplot involving a pedophile." As opposed to the tame pedophile subplot, ah.

And who knows, I might like it. It's been a while since I read it, so that helps, and I'm a big girl. I don't need to let my loathing for the director's acting choices taint my opinion of this movie. He was, I suppose, fairly decent in Hollywoodland, after all. Shit, I'm actually starting to look forward to it.

But seriously, whoever made that fucking preview should be brained.

On a separate note I got pretty excited today when I realized my vacation starts NEXT THURSDAY. VERMONT!!! Time to break out the sweaters! And I managed to get a few extra days at the last minute so we can sneak down to Austin for a night for the anniversary. *SO STOKED*

Turtles and BBQ on the river, here we come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...you realize you totally made my week in that I did not recognize what that movie, or the animal cracker reference, was from. Google cleared it up. But my soul is clean.

Yeah, I just... he's not PK to me. (At least not in the preview.) And I doubt she's the AG in my head. But I agree, I'm so intrigued by the reviews that I... I gotta see it now. -___- *is [apprehensive] lemming*

Ellen Aim said...

Applause, my friend. "Animal cracker" and that turd of a "movie" are synonymous in my head.

Unless the animal crackers are the ones with the pink icing. Those are money and subsequently, untouched by the hideousness of said movie.

I think Angie's gonna be a loss. Was she fucking living with him in that book?? I didn't think they ever lived together but her husband WAS dead by that time I guess.

Veloute said...

w00t!

So, uh, let me know the details so I can get you from the airport XD

Anonymous said...

Don't remember which book has which living arrangements (or the Phil plot status--but I can see them leaving that out entirely if it's a film. Which is a pity, because hello UST).

...You know, I wouldn't put it past them to have put out a weak preview on purpose. Because if anyone knows about the power of low expectations? That'd be BA.

Ellen Aim said...

Vel: I'll keep you appraised!

Alex: I think Phil bought the farm in #3.

Low expectations will only work for you. But I was actually looking forward this by the time I saw it and was not disappointed. In some aspects, sure, but overall, good shit.