Saturday, December 25, 2010

You're talking about the woman I almost love.

#29. Die Hard 2 (1990).

You know, I really remember this being more of a Christmas movie than it is. Aside from the fact that it's snowing and Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow, plays over the credits...uh, not so much.



But still a fun action movie. John McClane saves the day again and there's lots of explosions and some good dialogue. Win.

#28. Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton (1975).

This was one we watched every Christmas when I was growing up, and I still love it. It's Swedish, and apparently they watch it over there yearly, too. It's hard to find over here (impossible, actually), so we've been watching the same taped version we've owned since, who knows, 1984 or so...



I recently bought a PAL version from the UK on DVD, since I have an all region player. But it's the wrong narrator! :( I'm sure the narration is perfectly good, but it's just not the same...the original narrator (whose name I must look up) is wonderfully dry and deadpan, unmatched.



Anyway, it's always a cute story and though I am putting it on the list though I haven't watched it yet, I no doubt will today!

#27. The Lemon Drop Kid (1951).

This is one from my childhood. Silver Bells has always been my favorite traditional xmas song, and while I don't believe it was written FOR this film, this was the first film to feature it.



Very cute, great lines, and though I can't say I know Marilyn Maxwell from anything else, I do think she's great in this. Bob Hope is Bob Hope, as always, great stuff.

"I know it and you know, but it would sound pretty peculiar in court..."

#26. Go (1999).

This is one of those borderline Christmas movies, but I think it counts. It always makes me laugh, and that will make almost anything count.



The story is basically about the same night told three times, as experienced by three different groups of people, and they're all very different stories. And I've seen it several times, but it's still hysterical and full of great, quotable lines.

#25. A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott).



I guess I don't really have a lot to say here: we've all seen this story a million times in a million ways and I think this is my favorite version. George C. Scott just does the most perfect Scrooge. 'nuff said.

#24. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Santa Claus (1959).

Hahaha, this is fucking awful. Just look at the picture, for Christ's sake. First of all, there are numerous films with this title, so this is Santa Claus.



Clearly, you would never want to watch this without the aid of Mystery Science Theater 3000. And really, if you are going to go there at all, I would recommend Santa Claus Conquers the Martians over this. Both are gloriously awful, but the other is somehow more charming. I was trying to knock a dent in this list by xmas, and this one was available for instant download. It has been years since I saw it last and wow. It's a gem from Mexico, dubbed for your viewing pleasure, and it's just wrong on so many levels. Win.

No comments: